Observation of LI and SC

I planned to be observed for a lesson and then I decided to have an assessment in that time instead, as the kids were ready. 

The lesson I ended up doing for observation was a revision of how to show probability as a fraction and then also put that fraction on a single number line. 

The students could already do it but they needed to be able to explain how they worked it out.  I decided the best way for my kids to do this as revision would be build me a SC to tell me what is happening in their brains. 

For instance: the chance of rolling a number under 3 on a dice of 6 would be: 2/6. 

Show me on whiteboards and then help me write the SC as a do some more. 

My reflection of the lesson was:

  • it was great the kids were familiar with the making the fraction but I should have given them some more vocab to talk about the numerator some more. We are great at denominator talk, but without this language, it makes it hard for them to say what the numerator is doing.  I've trialled many things over the years but never found anything that really sits right. 
  • I should have had the kids buddy up (Learner and Expert) so that one child can do the task while the other explains what to do. This would have made it easier for them to reflect. The 'expert' on what they said to do and the 'learner' how they were guided to think about it. 
  • I didn't refer to the learning assets on our visual timetable although it's new so I am getting used to that slowly. 

My deputy's feedback was:

It was actually reassuring to hear her say so many things that happen in a lesson that I don't think about anymore. She directed me to the self reflection tool in the CPL book to make sure I am reflecting on my practice using evidence based goals.  Her comment that struck me was that she said I was probably a bit further along the LI/SC journey than I think I am. This was helpful because as I reflect on this particular section, I find myself in the expert practice box. Which as my own 'critical friend' sometimes made me uncomfortable. This helped me to find something new to work on and not be afraid of admitting I want to aim higher. 


After referring to this I think (apart from continuing to hone some practices I include but aren't super great at yet) my next goal will be to ensure the end of lessons finished with a question that can be used to guide the next lesson.  I really liked this idea and want to focus on it. I think it will really help the kids see the value of what is happening, as well as link back to the prior knowledge/lesson more easily becuase it will be a direct anchor point to start. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Australian and New Zealand Curriculum Comparison