Reflection of observation- Differentiation in Guided reading groups

 

My original thoughts:

Thinking about differentiation prior to the observation I was thinking about how I differentiate for the group based on the things I do already. Concerned I wasn't differentiating effectively,  I explicitly listed the things I think I do:

-ask the students to indicate silently they have an idea so that all students have to take part/ have thinking time
-ensuring that the children that find it harder to follow along are next to me with the louder and more focused participants at the other end of the table
-ensure we record our ideas so that we can return to them later if needed, or for those students are away often, they can see what happened while they were away. 
-I often walk away from the table while they talk, giving the shy students an opportunity to talk without the teacher present. To eliminate that fear that they will say the wrong thing. (I am always within ear shot and paying attention, but pretend I am not.)
-ensure I use the 'STOP' call out. So that if there is vocab they don't know it is explained and recorded as standard practice. 

Notes on the observation include:






So my identified next steps include:
-Ensuring the students are always aware of the purpose for reading the text
-Using the HOT question stems to ensure my questions are hitting the deeper thinking 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PB4L

Student Agency in Goal setting

Assessment: Mindlab