Dialogic Pedagogy Across the Curriculum.

What did I do:
To gauge the effectiveness of Dialogic Pedagogy PD we have been doing I did a quick discussion on a topic completely unrelated to Science.  

(Change the context and the set up of the class to see if the skills are transferred).

I introduced the idea of evidence and said we will be talking about our ideas. I didn't refer to the Talanoa norms, use the word discussion or refer to any markers that could possibly hint at the things I was looking for. 


We had to talk to 'some' people about our ideas and then I said, share the ideas with the whole group:

What did the students do:
They sat in small groups and shares their ideas, taking turns and using eye contact, listening etc. 
I hid in the corner and recorded some of the conversation that stood out to me. they demonstrated the ability to ask for clarification and use examples to prove their point. (Explaining the idea of using evidence as something you might do if there was a crime).  They also felt confident to organise themselves in ways that meant everyone had an even turn. Not just the strong dominators of conversation, but a way to make the sharing of ideas inclusive. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Assessment: Mindlab