Target Students- What am I doing to facilitate accelerated learning?

What is happening?
Using quick writes and fluency for my writing target students is great, but what can I do that will see more accelerated progress in all of my target students across the 3 subjects.

If I look critically at what I am currently doing. It is nothing. I am trying some things. But it is not targeted and not enough.  I am seeing shift in my students based on data but I need to push them. 

So: what can I do?

Writing: Making sure I am sticking to my plan from my TAI. Ensure I am using the quick writes that work for the needs of my students. The quick sentence practice to get fluency at the stage is where they are at. (See TAI for this).

Maths: To meet the needs of my target maths learners I am going to do 15 mins of SPRING into Maths for them at the start of every lesson.  While the other students are doing their warm up. I can do SPRING. It is a wonderful resource that is proven to boost learning in the area needed. So why am I not using it? 
The planning is done. I just need to dedicate that extra 15/min a day to these kids in maths. it is recommended for 20-30 mins, but they can then go and play the game independently. 

Reading: After a chat with Arthur about fluency and reflection on the needs of my reading target students, I can see what they need is fluency. Not to be bogged down with decoding. My students have strategies for decoding. I am working on 'does it sound right, look right and make sense' with them. The focus being does it sound right, as that is really the gap.  Only a couple of them guessing from the first letter most of the time.   Fluency will include. Sunshine classic books, as well as videoing themselves reading their book.   This means I don't have to create more work for myself, they will be able to hear themselves read the book back (they love watching themselves back).

And for reading everyday, we are going to read a book together at a lower level for our target group.
For the first 10 mins of every literacy block. I will keep the target readers on the mat after the meeting and then they can go off and start their must do's.

How will I make sure I am continuing to do this?
I need to be making sure I have an extra box in my planning with my target students in it.  I don't need to seperate these students out into more diverse groups. Just make sure they are all getting that extra time.  If we are working just below or just above for a student in that group, it wil be ok, as I can rotate what we concentrate each day. (IE: level 15 book monday, 20 Tuesday etc.)  I have a target group list in my office, but I don't see it enough, so making sure I have it in my planning where I look everyday.   Keeping a timer on my T group so that we don't get bogged down by random questions.  I need to have a much tighter routine for myself. The kids are independent eoung. But I have to be stricter with my timing.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Assessment: Mindlab