Science PLD Term 4

FOCUS:

My focus this term has been to create meaningful learning opportunities that result in focused science learning.  My inquiry was focused on: planning and carrying out investigations, analysing and interpreting data & obtaining, evaluating and communicating information. 

The focus was here as I identified this as a weak spot in my students ability to do this independently. I limited myself to 3 aspects as I wanted to focus harder and not do many things to a limited degree.

MY HUNCH:
I suspected they were unable to do these things as they had not had enough exposure to collecting and reading data that had any meaning to them.  They have experience reading graphs through maths but communicating ideas and deciding how to collate the data. The students have only ever looked at collecting information like this around maths, I need to come at this with a scientific lens.


TAKING ACTION:
To test my hunch we did a quick investigation about muscle fatigue, I wanted to see what parts of these things can do without support. It was mixed, but most of the students got stuck with making the test fair and collating the information in an understandable manner and could not make evaluations or decisions about the information.
I looked at the PD notes we took with Susan and used the techniques she had suggested to focus on heavily.

-building on prior knowledge by telling the story and THEN connecting the ideas.
-pulled apart vocab to really understand the route words and their meanings
-me page (with encouragment to record questions and ponderings/ vocab etc)
-encouraging them to collect information in a manner that is organised
-discussed findings and compare notes (this was where my diagnostic/formative assessment was mostly focused in this area, obviously)
- work collaboratively, it is ok if some students are not recording results, as long as they are part fo the conversation and are engaged in


I knew that focusing on the
-encouraging them to collect information in a manner that is organised
-discussed findings and compare notes (this was where my diagnostic/formative assessment was mostly focused in this area, obviously).


LESSONS Term 4 Plan
CHECKING: Next Steps: Let them do one independently again and see if there has been improvement in these areas....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Assessment: Mindlab