A meeting of the minds.

Argumentation  + Bloom's Taxonomy + Teaching as Inquiry + Discussion based learning

I'v started this with a reflection. My current TAI goal is to give the students more agency to work towards inquiry based learning.  I know that agency and inquiry is proven to help those students that lack engagement.

I know that giving them agency normally means choice of task, choice of topic, freedom to move around the classroom, freedom the choose when they work on what task they are performing.
What if agency meant freedom to THINK whatever they want.  Form opinions, make decisions. I feel like I am developing my evaluating mind around the way I give agency to my students. Yes, they need to be guided, but I can be giving them the skills they need in reading and writing to form opinions, use and discuss ideas and agree/disagree with evidence. 

I am getting there with baby steps. I am seeing my practice develop. Agree/disagree is used in my class- in a beginners way. Now I need to up that game, let them find factual evidence to support their ideas.

Here is my first argumentation board, Followed by questions that we will use our reading strategies to find evidence for.  the key is READ AND THINK.  We will use the accountable talk cards to help sus with sentence starters for this as well, to help the students work out what to say. This will help provide the scaffold necessary.




After this we can perhaps make a video of us, walking in the forest, showing people how to use the spray?  An instructional poster? An informative poster? Whatever- but it will need to be action causing and be about change. 

To make sure I am meeting this with my Inquiry focus I need to make sure I am adding a guiding question to ensure that they are able to develop an action or meaningful learning that engages them.  
My open question needs to be... What is Kauri die back and is it really that bad? perhaps it may be a bit different but we can move towards it based on what comes from the discussion. 

Definitely starting with the more able group and then moving around.  Watch this space for a video of the lesson...and my next steps


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Assessment: Mindlab