Kia Kaha and Restorative Justice






What exactly is it I want to celebrate?

This term we have been focusing on Kia Kaha as a way to create a more positive school culture and to extinguish any power imbalances that exist between the students.  Prior to the programme we had a discussion about the importance of community in the Maori culture and how whakapapa is at the forefront of Maori life, as well as hauora as a model of well being. This was just done as a surface idea and quite briefly. But I am trying to be more culturally responsive and use the little I do know to peak interest in the students.  

As part of this program we have been looking into the outcomes of bullying and the emotions/ harm that can come to those being victimised.  In doing so I have become more aware of their emotions and their ability to articulate their feelings. Because of this when dealing with a fight I have begun using restorative justice properly.  

What specifically about this achievement is it that compels me to want to reflect on it?

I am reflecting on it because it is making a big difference with my behaviour target students.  One that is normally a follower in terms of behaviour is beginning to lead by example and do the right thing. No longer intent of getting himself in the middle of things for attention. Now aiming for attention for being the instigator of positivity and kindness. This came as a big shift after the restoritive conference between himself and another after a pretty major fight. Once hearing of his actions and how they affected the other party he expressed serious remorse.  

The other student who is showing incredible change has had quite a few 'awakenings' in the last few weeks and is now seeing that the others thought he was a bully.  This child then was very attentive at a 'outcomes of bullying lesson' and it was evident he took the message of the other children's feeling to heart, also expressing his dislike of bullying behaviour. 
Since then he has had a goal, which he is also writing about, to be a kinder and more considerate person.  

Today Room 11 told him how proud they were of him. Another child, who is an 'arch nemesis' of sorts to him shook his hand and told him that he had filled his bucket this week and it made him happy.  This news caused a round of applause amongst the other children. 

I also believe that the discussion in the beginning of the importance of Hauora and Whakapapa to Maori culture helped to get more confidence in these boys to do the right thing.  I realise it was a bot token, but I am starting somewhere and I can build on this. 

  • What is it that I have learnt by achieving this?
  • I also learnt that I need to be less self- conscious about my knowledge of the Maori culture and embrace passing on what I do know. I am reluctant to 'teach' these kids about things because I feel rude teaching them about their own culture. But I can express that I am a learner and be passing on my new knowledge to them humbly, which will keep them keen. 
  • Through this I have learned that the specific approach of teaching the skills needed is affective.  (PB4L)  I have learned that in order to reach those 20% in the top tier behaviourally, you also need to really make clear the outcomes of their actions. Then teach the skills. The why and then the how.
  • What have I learnt about myself, my teaching practice, my students, and my colleagues?
  • I have learned about myself that I don't use the how enough. That I can, in theory, talk about how it is effective but I need to focus on putting it in to practice more. Reflecting on things that go well is great, but holding onto that light bulb moment and using it for further teaching is a necessity as well.   Through ongoing reflections I can achieve this.  
  • I have also learned
  • How could this learning assist others?
  • This learning can assist others by sharing the success and suggesting a school wide focus on Kia Kaha during the first term to create that supportive classroom culture that is necessary to ensure all students are focused on learning.  Perhaps also a demonstration on restorative conversations with a guide to use when having them would help all. When I was doing it, there were very big gaps when I had to sit and think about what I would say next, this could be a hinderance if we want to try and promote it as more common practice. 
  • How will I celebrate this achievement?
  • As the achievement isn't all mine, to celebrate I could record my own 'compliment' in the booth in our class to add to our end of year comments. This will get to the students and I will also get to keep them all for future reference. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Assessment: Mindlab