Writing teaching: update on progress.


 

This is the goal that I had from the beginning of term from writing observations. 

My writing is going to be totally rearranged- to be more quick workshops and less long whole class stuff. Every lesson will now be a 15 min spot: 15 min workshop with 2 groups and then a 15 min spot to conference with a whole group. That way I really will get to conference with each child at least once a week.
Ensure that we are fitting in to my writing 15 min workshop: A clear LI and SC, as well as: I do, We do, They do. Telling them they have a short amount of time to get it done. By just doing one small thing at a time this will be easy (as this is also what I do it reading and maths). Even when I am finding the ways things happen in an exemplar it should take way less time. But this can be a whole class activity).
By doing things in a shorter, more specific way I will be able to focus more on what they need and use teachable moments. Once I have worked out how to do this better I will hopefully be able to fit in some roaming time as well to check in on those that I didnt' see that day -or help those I did.
Here is a link to my planning where you can see the difference between week 6 (and previous) and week 7 onwards.
Here is a link toKellyand TeRina's blog, it is obvious that the MAtariki and Kite writing that has come from this week is Massively different in quality and quantity. I feel as though I know what they were working on, as well as them knowing the WALT.
What is happening/ not happening and why?
From this I have rearranged my writing program as planned and it is now much more focused.  The workshops I take are far more focused on exactly what those children need. The conferences really do help the students to 'bump up' their writing.  This is taking too long though and I need to be more proactive about making sure I have looked at the students work very closely the night before, every night, so that I am ready for the day after. This is happening most of the time, but I do sometimes forget if we have meetings and things. I see that  it makes a big difference in how I help them. I am able to, but it is not grouped and not as fast. 
NEXT STEPS: Due Date: By end of fortnight (2 weeks).
-check writing EVERYDAY. (This has been a goal for a while now, so to promote the habit I am going to set some new alarms on my phone for after school- this works for anything I have during class time, so hopefully after also. )
-do a new gaps analysis for all my students to find their gaps ready for next semester against the LLP's. 
-Video myself taking another writing lesson so that I can re-evaluate my lessons. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Agency in Goal setting

PB4L

Assessment: Mindlab