PB4L

Mana Atua Matrix

Our matrix is effective in that it is referred to often in lessons and changed at least once a week to ensure we are keeping up with the abilities of the students.

The matrix is moveable so that we can have it in different places around the room when needed.

This means the different lessons/ conversations don't always need to be in the same place, and I can move them around the room, depending on what the students are doing where. Making it more flexible.


Classroom environment
Ruma Wha is designed with flexible spaces in mind, so the students are able to hide away from noise, work independently (without anyone able to disturb you), work collaboratively, outside, in the shade, in the sun.... basically, how ever they please. The desks help them to ensure they have their own space. A place they can leave their belongings and no one else can touch it.

The walls are very helpful for the students to refer to activities and learning we have done previously.


Next steps:

To improve the Mana Atua matrix, I want to have the students create more visuals with the expectations and put them where they will be able to see them. We refer to them often, but it would be faster if they were already looking at them, then I wouldn't have to even refer to them. Hopefully.

To improve the classroom environment I want to ensure I have more of the students work up. I try not to keep it too busy, but I want them to see that I value their work, more than my own. Because I don't need to have that message- they do.

Comments

  1. I really like that your Class matrixes are used throughout the day. I can see the value of the visuals, especially the process of the children making them. You’ve set up a great learning environment that really encourages your students to self manage with lots of choice that is acceptable whilst allowing them to meet the functions of their behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some good ideas on how cater for all your students needs. I agree, the picture prompts could give them easy access to the reminders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assessment: Mindlab

Student Agency in Goal setting